Garage sale that I randomly stopped was loaded with really cool mid-century goodies. The guy was a collector and I later heard he's actually working at the local auction house. I'd be a hoarder if I had a job at one of these places...
Anyhow,, stripped the vinyl, sewed the new top using a bean sack burlap and here's the new and improved armchair from the 50-s. Before:
First of all, I found a great new antiques/flea market about 40 minutes South from here. It's awesome because they have lots of rusty metal items and old tables whose feet can be knocked off and something awesome is born with a different top screwed on. And second, it has a BARGAIN BARN.. haha a. Jackpot. The chess board I got from a different place though. It's still pretty dirty despite my efforts and the power of Fantastic. I don't mind it stained, gives it character. Before:
I went back to the lumberyard and bought the rest of that poplar board. Luckily it wasn't sold.
Already had the metal base from a vintage tier table I had bought a month ago.
I've been looking for metal bases lately and Pennsylvania is a goldmine of thrift shops.
Prepared the edges and glued, clamped, sanded, stained, coated the wood. Currently selling Before:
Found these great poplar boards at the local lumberyard. I made the feet during my last trip to Europe, using the concrete reinforcement bars and a friend's help to weld them together.
I sanded, clear coated the boards so that the natural pattern wouldn't get lost. Currently selling
I would use them as breakfast in bed lovers side tables
Another Thrift Store find. Kind of an odd piece. Heavy too. I sanded, stained and clear coated it. I wasn't impressed with the mix of different grade solid wood, particle board and veneer that this thing was put together with. But in the end it turned out pretty cool. I removed the original footing and replaced with a set of Hairpin legs that proved to be a perfect match for this cabinet.
Tip to clean brass - make a paste of vinegar and baking soda.
Fun find from Salvation Army Thrift Store. It doesn't have much substance as far as quality and material goes. But the wire legs gave it character. Light sanding, new coat of paint and then I hand drew the wood pattern on it. Currently for sale. Before:
During a road trip to Upstate New York last summer, I popped into few local antique shops. And that's how this heavy, over hundred years old bed found its way to our truck.
I gotta thank a very good friend helping me with the excruciating sanding job. But it was well worth it. Definitely a keeper. Before:
As I was "dumpster diving" at IKEA's "As is" section, I grabbed this foot for instant gratification. Cut a plywood circle, built a cushion and sewed a gray wool cover with a yellow trim on it. It rotates and can be adjusted.. how fun :) Before
There is never a pair to be found. Those little mid-century night-stands always come as singles at the Thrift Store.
So I did it a favor and now it lives in my bedroom, quite happy and doesn't even miss a mate. Before
It was silly of me to get these chairs from the Thrift Store because I'm having hard time selling them.
Altho stuff with coffee sacks sells pretty well. Got 50 bucks at the Garage sale for all my hard work and a lesson not to buy ugly chairs.
One of my friends smuggled this weirdness into my car after our dinner. "make something out of it" The table was made of kind of plaster covered plywood. So there was really nothing much I could do besides painting it black. I sanded the rough and broken areas, dismantled the lamp, used BIN spray primer and then applied matte black spray paint.
SOLD "Before" and "During"
I have loved these walls for over 10 years now, since they
started popping up in interior magazines. Better late then never, I thought, and
decided to "invent a bicycle" since there is not a single tutorial on the
Internet on how to achieve the same results. Unless I order fake paneling
We got a sheet of Drywall. Cut it to the blocks according to
our design. Then measured the holes and used a circular drill bit to pre-cut
the holes. Then we glued and screwed the pieces of drywall on the wall.
I used Gray Concrete Patch (It doesn't shrink!) and spackled the whole wall. The holes needed to be done twice since it cracked overnight. Basically,
a good steady hand is needed for applying the top coat. Especially on the
corners. For the ridges we used a grooving tool.
Also this vintage walnut linen cabinet got a new face - this is "Before" I stripped it down and applied Danish Oil
We haven’t completely moved into our newly finished bathroom. But finished it finally is After 3 years! All the work – Me and Brian (mostly Brian) and my uncle Uno helped with sheetrock and friend Karel helped gutting. We only hired a plumber to do the pipes.
Before & After
So we totally gutted the place..
We gained extra space by using a built-in cabinet from the room next to the bathroom. We insulated the walls, covered with plastic, sheetrocked, spackled, painted, installed tile on the floor, installed a tub, Brian built a box around the tub, also a drawer on wheels for storage. Brian did all electric wiring and built “floating shelves”. We tiled the box and the walls, new sink from Ikea.